Monday 23 June 2008

In the Dentist waiting room

Moved to new area a while back

Made an appointment with a new dentist for a check-up, nothing urgent, made it weeks and weeks ago, private appointment

For 8.30 on a Monday

Turned up at 8.15 first patient in the surgery

Made myself know to the reception staff

Waited...

Watched as a few dozen other patients who arrived after me, mostly for routine checkups also (funny what you can overhear), mostly for appointments after me

At 9.00 made myself know to reception staff, asked ever so politely what time I was likely to be seen

"Oh sorry its cos we only squeezed you in since you were in pain", er no I wasn't, after which they try again "er sorry there were lots of emergencies which we let in ahead of you" er no you didn't I was sitting there listening "er that's the way our computer did it" er bollocks I can see you running the appointments on bits of paper

"don't worry it wont be long" they said

Waited half an hour and then walked out

Now I wouldn't actually have minded waiting a little extra if there were some genuine emergencies turning up

And I would have probably hung around if they had been honest with me and just said they made a mistake

But I am not paying out my own good money to be lied to and waste my whole fucking morning

Fortunately I know I can take my money to lots of other dentists, they don't give a shit where I live, they just want the money

Shame I cannot take my business elsewhere in GP land

Why are medical receptionists so fucking useless in the UK? It's the only fucking country on the planet with such shit service

6 comments:

steveg said...

Shame I cannot take my business elsewhere in GP land


Er..... You Can

No One said...

er you cannot in NHS land

read some of the previous posts

2nd nearest GP and your "outside the catchment area"

if you dont have any private GPs around you have no choice in many parts of the country

Anonymous said...

Hi. I always make it a point to be early or on time for my doctor/nurse appointment, but always find that these people really have no respect for other people's time! It's very frustrating. Twice, I had a 9am appointment at the hospital with one of the staff, and both times she came an hour late. The third time, I got wiser and made an 11am appointment instead, to avoid having to wait for her to arrive. But surprise surprise, when I got there slightly before 11am, she had just arrived and had people waiting since 9am. Because I am not timid and quite adament about my time, I approached her and reminded her that I had a 11am appointment. Another nurse asked if I could wait and let the lady who's been waiting since 9am to go first. Hell NO! I have to get back to work. It's not my problem if their staff cannot get to work on time, and I know well enough that this is not a one-off case.

And then, there was another time when I had to see a consultant, 3:30pm appointment. I only got seen 10 minutes to 5pm, and was told that the doctor needs to leave at 5pm for a meeting. Like...wtf? So, I only got 10 minutes with him, by the time he even pull my records, we only had 5 minutes to discuss my health. He hastily prescribed me new medication that we did not even have much time to discuss about ie how to use, dosage. Even the hospital pharmacy was closed before I got out of the room, I had to go to the hospital again the next day to get it dispensed (because it was issued at the hospital, the local pharmacy said it has to be dispensed there)Another 40 minutes wait over my lunch time. Found out a week later that the dosage told to me for my new medication is way less than it should be, hence why my health had turned for the worse!

And again today, I had a 9am appointment with a local doctor. She walked in at 9:40am. Overheard another patient complained and the receptionist said 'oh, yeah she's usually late'

Like? Not an ounce of respect of other people's time at all.

Back when I was working in an Asian developing country, if things like this happen, you get up, walk off and go into the next clinic. No need to be dependant on the surgery only near to you. No need to fork out hundreds just to be seen. Private doctors open 24 hours, you pay just a little bit more but worth to be seen when you need it most.

Anonymous said...

you must a really pissy neurotic cunt. do you have a job or do you spend your life on the net reading about all the conditions you might have and then making it some poor sods problem with your freak like need to seek medical attention

if its all so bad why dont you fuck off and treat yourself you prick

if you came into my surgery id tell you that you were indeed a cunt and id ask the rozzers to throw you outof the building

Anonymous said...

But, no-one, I thought "private" was the panacea??? Yet, somehow your crap experience at a private dentist illustrates how shit NHS GP is?

Give me strength....

No One said...

rahere

at least i can go and choose any other dentist i want

which is rather different to GP land

that way the dentists feel some limited commercial pressure when they fuck up

since there is no NHS dental service in practise for me Id rather they didnt tax me for it thanks

and while we are at it, since its impossible to access a GP too let me keep the tax for that too

let my tax reflect the reality that for any medical or dental treatment i have to go private